- Rates & Specials
- Within walking distance
The house was built in 1884 by prominent local builder William H. Fraser in either Romanseque Revival or Second Empire Mansard Style - depending on who you ask. The single fronted 3 story style has a mansard roof with protruding third floor windows. Prominent bay windows grace the front rooms on the first and second floor. Over the years there have been five additions to the property - all towards the rear of the original structure. When digging the foundations to our new Laundry Room in May 2008, an old local glass bottle was found. Apart from the name Charlottetown, the name of Smith & Prethers is also featured. This business donated a prize to a military shooting competition in 1865. Presumably, once its contents were consumed, this bottle was thrown onto the vacant lot on which Charlotte's Rose was subsequently built.
Originally built as a single family home, title was held in trust for a married lady - Mrs. Mary Jane Moore. At that time, 1884, if the property had been in her name it would, by default, have become the property of her husband. Just around the corner on Rochford Street another house was already built on part of the same large lot (Lot 19 - 3rd 100) to an initially similar design and we assume the first owners of our house told their builder they would like one "just like that one please". Another branch of the same family built the house next door (No. 15 on the corner) just one year later - though in a totally different style. The family left the corner house in the early 1900's and moved out to the wild west (Alberta) where they still live. Their grandchildren - now in their 80's - stayed with us a few years ago and were thrilled to be able to stay in one family house and even get to look around the other one.
Our house stayed in the same family until 1915. Since then it has had five extensions and a number of uses - even being combined with number 9 Grafton to which it was joined by a small covered overhead walkway to create the Wood's Nursing Home. After the closure of the nursing home in the 1970s the properties were once again split. A major rennovation in the 1980s brough the house back into a state of good repair and in the early 1990s the owners prior to us converted several bedrooms to bathrooms to create an all-ensuite Bed & Breakfast. We took over the business in 2004 and added the fifth extension, a Laundry room, in 2008.